Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Contest Winners and Creature Answers

I’m pleased to announce the winners of the Name that Creature Contest! In 1st place we have Mike, who not only got all the answers right but also named the countries the creatures originated from, alternate names used for the same creature in other countries, and even a few of my sources. Show off! ;)
In 2nd place we have Adam who answered the questions correctly including the bonus ones!
In 3rd place is Wren who answered most the questions correctly and made a good effort to guess at the rest.
Congratulations winners and thanks for playing!

By the way I highly recommend Judy Allen’s Fantasy Encyclopedia to anyone interested in the genre. It’s one of my best sources for looking up fantasy creatures quickly. Also, I know I’ve read about most of these creatures in a few books and stories but I couldn’t remember all of them so I just put down the ones I could think of.

Now for the answers:

1. I live in mines. When danger is near I'll tap on the wall to warn you. What am I?

Answer: Tommy-knocker (a.k.a. Knocker, or Thumper)

From: Miners’ tales throughout the world

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerizzi

2. I'm a small elvin creature that likes to tinker with technology. I was first discovered by the British Royal Air Force in the 1920s. What am I?

Answer: Gremlin

From: Legend formed from stories of the British Air Force

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia

3. I’m a shape-shifter who loves to cause terror and trouble. I change into things you fear. What am I?

Answer: Boggart

From: British legend

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, The Boggart by Susan Cooper

4. I appear in the shape of a horse, but my hooves are backwards from those of an ordinary horse. If you get on my back I will carry you to the nearest source of water and attempt to drown you. What am I?

Answer: Kelpie (or Water Horse)

From: Scottish Mythology

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, Water by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickenson, a children’s version of the Water Horse story whose name I’ve sadly forgotten

5. I live in marshes. You can only see me as a mysterious floating light. If you follow me I will lead you far into the marsh and leave you stranded there. What am I?

Answer: Jack O’ Lantern or Will O’ The Wisp

From: British legend

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, Jack O’Lantern by Patricia A. McKillip (contained in the anthology, Firebirds Rising)

6. I can breathe fire I have the head of a lion, the body of a goat and the tail of a serpent. I brought death and destruction for years before battling a Greek hero. What am I?

Answer: Chimera

From: Greek Mythology

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, various books on Greek myths and legends

7. I'm a man-like creature made out of mud or clay. I can only be brought to life by spells. I work as a servant, always doing as I am told and never moving unless I am given instructions. I usually work for sorcerers. What am I?

Answer: A golem

From: Hebrew Mythology

Sources: Fantasy Encyclopedia, Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Bonus questions:

1. I live in the Alps. Icicles hang from my hair and beard. I prefer cold weather and hibernate in the summer. My favorite form of entertainment is surfing on avalanches, though I will whistle to warn you of their danger. What am I?

Answer: Barbegazi

From: Legends in the Alps

Source: Fantasy Encyclopedia

2. I have wild green hair and blue skin. I hibernate in the winter and am at my most mischievous in the spring. I let out whistles to confuse humans. To escape me you must put your clothes on backwards. What am I?

Answer: Leshie

From: Russian Folklore

Source: Fantasy Encyclopedia

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I guess I didn't know there were so many creatures... Good job to the winners! Even though I didn't enter, I NEVER would have guessed any of these! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete